Thursday 7 October 2010

Back to School!

Well, I have to say I take my hat off to Madam Florence! She is the Principal of Sarfoa Memorial School, which is one of the projects supported by Richbone Initiative. But she is not only the principal of the school but also does the job of "bursar" and administrator and sometimes mother to the children as well.
When she had a break in her busy day, we were able to sit down together and go through the school accounts. Not easy, as they have no computers and everything is entered in a multitude of account books!
But we will definitely be able to streamline and make the job a bit easier for her!

While waiting for Madam Florence, Madam Mary (that's me by the way!) took a class - Junior High 2!
It was a delight to be able to talk to the students without thinking how inadequate my teaching skills might be. They were simply happy to tell me about their country and to hear about mine.

I also spent time in the creche but when several of the children started to cry (they were frightened of my white skin - which I found a bit disconcerting!) I beat a hasty retreat.

My treat for the day was a trip with Isaac to the Kwame Nkruma Memorial Gardens where we had a pleasant evening stroll before the sun went down.


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous photos Mary. We can't wait for your next installment!

    ReplyDelete